With the increased development in the technological sphere, security and its method have also gone digital with the employment of technology by security outfits. Over the years, the conventional method of access control was usually a simple lock and a key but today, such method is finally phasing out for more sophisticated methods. With the introduction of electronic controlled doors or computerized doors, the term “card access system or access control system” has been redefined. It is more likely to be referred to as the electronic or computerized card access system. This system makes use of certain electronic access cards in order to gain entrance into a building, place either physically or logically. The focus of this article is on the present electronic or computerized card access system as against the conventional lock and key.
Security experts have proven the preference of the electronic access card system over the conventional lock and key system used in the past.
Some of the reasons given by these security experts are;
- Useful during an emergency situation or attacks since the whole building can be shut down with just one click.
- Building can easily be controlled from a single source/computer
- Effective and the electronic access cards doesn’t rust
Due to the above-listed points, a lot of corporate organizations, apartments, and hotels have employed the use of the Card access system not just in improving the security systems of their building or resources but in order to reduce the stress involved.
There basically two major type of Card Access System. They are;
- Logical Access: Logical Access system is an improved security system employed in most computer/ software related outfits in the world today. This type of card access system limits connection access into a specific computer network, network servers, and files & data. In this type of scenario, users are issued specific cards with a difference in their clearance levels.
- Physical Access System: This type of system limits access into physical buildings such as office complexes, hospital theater rooms, hotels and physical assets of a company.
There are four major categories of a Card Access Control System. They include;
- Discretionary Access Control: In this type of card access control system, the owner or manager of that particular or physical location possesses the authorization and he is free it to share it with other users.
- Rule Based Access Control: In this type of card access control system, every user has a tag that easily grants them access to the building or asset. Rule-based access will control authorization based on conditions other than who you are (e.g., time of day, location, type of device).
- Role Based Access Control: This is the latest security technology in the world. IT and software giants tend to make use of this idea system. Role-based access will control authorization based on who you are (e.g., user, administrator, human resources manager).
- One major difference between this method and the others is that users are given access cards according to the role they play in the organization.
- Mandatory Access Control: In this type of access control, the operating system of the electronic access card restricts users from accessing certain private files or try to override the system.
With the introduction of the PeakEdge Access Control System which is well designed to meet the requirement of Advanced Enterprise System and comes with a sophisticated standard application programming language, IP, and standard IT equipment which makes it to easily integrate with other systems.
Our security professionals can help design a system that meets your criteria and stays within budgets. Call us today for a free no obligation consultation at 800-444-7231